Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Ice Dyeing

I tried something new this week with my fashion kiddos. We dyed fabric with ice and made them into pillows. The results have been out of this world! I just had to share to show all those out there that they can do fun things in class!

So the first thing I did was get plain muslin fabric and treated it with soda ash before the students arrived. Each student was given 1/2 a yard to dye.

Then I created this lovely contraception. I used a tub, buckets, and hangers. All items I already had in my classroom. The students placed the fabric wrapped up and covered it with ice. the students then used Tulip Fabric Dyes to sprinkle the dye over the ice. I then left the fabric alone for 24 hours. Students then came the next day and rinsed their fa


bric out and we hung them to dry. Students were able then to iron their fabric, and create pillows out of them using a pattern that I created from poster board.





The fabrics came out so beautifully. I want to make my own and plan to this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment